Everyone loves lists right? Well, Merry Christmas. Here is my list of the top 10 plays from TCU's 2012 football season. My criteria included how impressive the play was, who the opponent was, and the effect it had on the outcome of the game. Enjoy.
10. Trevone Boykin 34 yard touchdown run vs. Grambling: The Frogs were already up 42-0 but the rushing touchdown was still impressive. On 3rd and 6 from the Grambling 34, Boykin scrambled left before cutting back across the field for an electrifying touchdown run.
9. Brandon Carter 80 yard touchdown reception vs. OU: The Frogs were down 21-7 in the third quarter and needed a spark. A spark was provided by Brandon Carter as he caught Boykin's pass over the middle and took it 80 yards to the house. TCU fought back, but came up short in the end.
8. Jason Verrett First Quarter Interception @ Texas: The Longhorns took the opening kickoff and moved the ball quickly into TCU territory. On 1st and 10 from the TCU 30, David Ash was picked off by Jason Verrett which set the tone for the rest of the game.
7. LaDarius Brown 43 yard touchdown reception @ Baylor: TCU received the ball to start the second half up 14-7 against Baylor. It was looking like the Frogs drive was going to stall, but on 3rd and 19 Boykin hooked up with LaDarius Brown for a beautiful 43 yard TD pass which put TCU on top 21-7.
6. Deante' Gray 70 yard punt return touchdown vs. Grambling: I will admit, this one might be a little too high on the list, but it was the first touchdown scored in the new Amon G. Carter stadium so it holds a special place in my heart. Less than two minutes into the game, Deante' Gray received the Grambling punt and took it 70 yards for his first career TD as a Horned Frog.
5. Josh Boyce 94 yard touchdown reception @ West Virginia: The Frogs were down 31-24 to the Mountaineers and were running out of time. On 2nd and 19 with 1:42 left in the game, Trevone Boykin found Josh Boyce down the sideline and the West Virginia defenders couldn't catch him as he took it 94 yards for the game tying touchdown.
4. Brandon Carter to Corey Fuller reverse touchdown pass @ West Virginia: The Frogs got the ball last in the second overtime trailing West Virginia 38-31. On 1st and 10 Brandon Carter caught the toss sweeping left to right and found a wide open Corey Fuller for a 25 yard touchdown reception.
3. Brandon Carter one handed 68 yard touchdown reception vs. Virginia: On 3rd and 10 midway through the first quarter, Casey Pachall connected with Brandon Carter who made a ridiculously nasty one handed catch and took it 68 yards for the touchdown.
2. Jason Verrett Blocked FG in OT @ West Virginia: TCU got the ball to start the first overtime but came up empty on a Jaden Oberkrom missed field goal. The Frogs defense held the high powered West Virginia offense to a three and out on their possession. The Mountaineers Tyler Bitancurt lined up for the game winning field goal but Jason Verrett sliced off the edge and came up with the HUGE block. It was one of many big plays for Verrett in 2012.
1. Trevone Boykin to Josh Boyce two-point conversion @ West Virginia: With the game tied at 31, West Virginia got the ball to start the second overtime. The Mountaineers scored on their first play on a 25 yard touchdown pass from Geno Smith to Stedman Bailey. The Frogs were now in a must score position. After scoring on a reverse pass from Brandon Carter to Corey Fuller, Gary Patterson showed what type of man he is. TCU lined up for the two point conversion and the win. Trevone Boykin rolled right and fired a low pass into Josh Boyce who came up with a tremendous catch which won the game for TCU.
I hope you enjoyed TCU's Top 10 Plays of 2012. I had a lot of fun writing this one. Head on over to the forums and discuss your top plays from this season, I know I left some out.