A wild night in Lubbock ends in TCUs second loss

Lubbock has always had the reputation of being a little strange.
That mystique clearly grew Thursday night with a game that featured a fox, a botched fumble call after getting reviewed, a fumble at the one on an easy touchdown, a waved off touchdown for a "wave" and 23 combined penalties.
But at the end of the day, the Frogs' offense couldn't get anything going in the first half against the Red Raider defense in the 20-10 loss.
Tech outgained TCU 166-93 in the first half and took a 10-0 lead into the locker room. The second half was just about the opposite as the Frogs battled back to tie the game at 10 with 6:28 left in the game off a 17-yard run by BJ Catalon.
That score came on the drive that could have ended after Tech's punt when Brandon Carter returned the kick for a touchdown, but it was overturned due to an invalid fair catch call.
Once the offense tied the game, the TCU defense needed to make a stop to give the offense a chance to take its first lead of the game. Texas Tech appeared to score on another screen pas to DeAndre Washington for 51 yards, but he let go of the ball inside the TCU one-yard line. The ball rolled into the end zone and the Raiders celebrated after the officials called it a touchdown.
Had the ball gone out of the end zone, or if a TCU player had fallen on the ball or kicked it out of the end zone, it would have been TCU ball on a touchback. But since the refs called a touchdown, there was no way the players could have known to cover up the ball.
Since that happened, the Raiders were given the ball back on the TCU 15-yard line due to the personal foul after the "score."
TCU got it to third down but back up quarterback Davis Webb threw a perfect pass to Bradley Marquez from 19 yards out on a fade to put the Red Raiders back up a touchdown.
The Frogs were forced to punt after a pair of false start penalties and three incomplete passes. The punt hit off the return man and was a live ball, which TCU recovered, but it was disallowed due to an erroneous kick catch interference call.
Not only did the penalty cost the Frogs the ball, it gave Tech the ball at the TCU 35-yard line. On the first play of that drive, Williams ran up the middle for 14 yards and fumbled the ball while trying to fight for more yards. But, as had been TCU's luck all night, he was ruled down and despite the call getting reviewed, it was still upheld.
The Raiders ran three more plays then Ryan Bustin kicked a 37-yard field goal to seal the victory.
Despite the big touchdown pass, the TCU defense did a great job of keeping the Frogs in the game. Chris Hackett, Kevin White and Derrick Kindred each had interceptions to get the ball back for the offense. Jon Koontz, Matt Anderson and Jon Lewis each had sacks in the game.
TCU was called for 13 penalties for 115 yards and it seemed like every time the Frogs got any kind of momentum going, a flag was thrown to kill it.
The Frogs did run for 207 yards, including 101 by TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin. He also completed 23 of 36 passes for 194 yards, but did throw two interceptions. The second one killed another long TCU drive in the second half.
Another big reason for the loss was TCU's inability to execute on third down. The Frogs were successful on just three of 16 third down attempts and didn't convert either of their fourth down attempts.
TCU also had the ball 11 more minutes than the Red Raiders.